.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Teletran-1 : Captains Log Suplimental

Friday, January 25, 2008

I have sand in my underpants

Ok where did I leave off. I was diving in the whytsundays. So after leaving Airly Beach and forgetting to once again send off my poastcards in the morning we started the long boaring drive to Rockhampton. It's worth noteing at this point that we have been sorrounded by flooding. Both on our intended driving route and in places we have departed. That being said it's allways dry as a bone when we are actually there so we have been extreamly lucky.

The road to Rockhampton is long and empty, very much like Saskatachewan but with trees. We saw lots of cows which makes sense as Rockhampton is the beef center of the country, mabe it's like a wet Alberta then. Just north of the city we Stopped at some cool caves. These where huge and there was a walking tour with a very knowledgable guide. Definatly something to see if your ever in the area.

The next day we started out to Hervy Bay where the 4x4 rental place is. One short stop however had to be made at a very important landmark. As I had said before Rum is big here and a chance to tour the countrys #1 distillary could not be passed up. I got to see the giant tank of molasas, the fermentation tanks and most important the maturation kegs. Massive barrels the size of my dorm room. Each one holds 6 million dollars worth of rum as it ages two years before being sold. Again if your in the area it's highly recomended. Now is it good rum well.......Not great but not bad eather. I would drink it over bacardi or captain morgan but since I don't drink those either that's not really important. Im more of an Appelton Estates, Lambs Navy rum kind of guy. The one cool thing is they sell premixed rum and coke by the keg, that's right bars here have draft rum and coke on Tap. Now I go to my happy place.

Frasure Island, the point of this poast. Frasure island is the worlds largest sand island. You can only navigate it by 4x4 which we rented the next day in Hervy Bay. You have to take a barge and youget dropped off on a beach with a map and a rough list of things to see. With the Island being soemthing like 75km long there is a lot to see. There are driving paths through the islands interor but the sand can get pretty deep and going is slow. The main method of travel is along the beach which is like driving on a road, you can get up to 80kph, except there are rivers you have to drive through and rock sticking up all over the place. First day we checked out some cool lakes, deep and with water clearer than any I have ever seen, better than when I was on the Reef. There was a cool river you could drift down like a ride at a water park and An old giant ship wreck on the beach. That night we camped on the dunes overlooking the beach and we where the only people for about a klick in each direction. A very lazy morning followed since we could not travel on the beach untill about 2 hours after high tide. We got going around noon and started north to check out some cool sand formations farther north. We saw a plane take off from the beach and started heading for the barge dock to catch our boat home at 4. There was a lot of fun driving through sand and I leaft with the keen desire to purchace a jeep and treak off into the interior of BC.

Fun was had by all and I sustained a few more good sun burns. See we had been driving with windows up AC on up untill this point but now we where 1700km south of the tropical rain forests we started in and it was cool enough to role the windows down and burn my damn arm. How am I going to explain a truckers tan on my right arm.

Seriosly, postcards are out tomorow. Except for Tim's cause I still don't have his home address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home