.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Teletran-1 : Captains Log Suplimental

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Aussie Moot Days 4-8 : Dive Expidition

Ok so 5 day trip of diving. Well 4 days of diving and a day of travel. There where some awesome sites planned. The most exciting was going to be south west rocks. I say was going to be because a Cyclone is currently hitting queensland causing all kinds of nasty. The entire east coast of Australia is experianceing monster waves and that cut out many promising dive sites. We where limited to protected bays like Sydney Harbor and Nelson bay, someplace we where going to go anyway but we couldn't do the boat dive.

This happens in diving. When you go out you have to allways expect that it may not be safe to dive, it's part of the sport. Im a bit dissapointed but I accept it. We did do a lot of fun dives and I saw lots of cool stuff. A lot will be explained when I put up my dive photos uppon return to canada but I can mention a few things now.

Our first 2 days where in Manly which is on the north end of sydney harbor and home to one of the best beaches in the world. We dove off the north head just inside the harbor at two sites. The first was called waterfall and the second was old mans hat. There where located at the south end of the land mass shown.

View Larger Map

The next day we dove in the harbor on a sandy flat with a bunch of artificial reef material. The Next day we went to nelsons bay and hit up a dive site called Halafax for some reason. We then did a night dive at a site called pipeline. Both of these dives where along the south side of the bay and they had a tonn of sealife. I saw one of everything on that night dive. From sharks to rays to octopus to cuttlefish to eels. It was pretty kick ass.

All the dives where good, 22 degrees C as compared to my usual of around 10. The visability is around what I would expect in Canada but i was told it was horrable compared to what it usualy is. I really would have like to see that clear water, damn Cyclone. The life was a cross of what I would see in canada and what's in the tropics. The sharks are smaller and sit on the bottem, the two I saw are the Wobbegong and Port Jackson Shark we don't see sharks that often in western Canada appart from dogfish which are elsusive and the six gill which lives at 2000m. I also saw Cuttlefish, and seahorses both of which i have never seen in canada. The fish species are a bit more colourfull but not tropical in nature. The sponges and soft coral are simmilar to what I have seen before in theat respect and so are the Nudibranch. Different species ofcourse but simmilar looking. Everything was generaly a lot smaller too, except the sharks and groupers. We have a bigger fish and anenomes in general so I had to get really close to the rocks to see all the cool stuff.

Can't wait for Queensland and all that tropical water. Stay tuned for pictures when I get home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home