.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Teletran-1 : Captains Log Suplimental

Monday, July 17, 2006

Cheep Random Crap!

Well It's been a while since my last post, Ive been a bit busy but i think it's time to say something.

Internet purchases, I Initially resisted this trend but I have been ever increasingly seduced buy the deals you can find there. Amazon and Chapters are always a good source of deals. The key here is if you order enough the shipping is free, this is where you usually blow your deals the shipping and duty. The first few times I tried getting good deals online I got hit buy duty which i expected but I also got hit with brokerage fees. Ah this is what they never tell you about and It can make that $100 saving on a digital camera much less of a deal. When I bought my camera i had to end up paying $50 duty and another $50 for brokerage fees for UPS to fill out the paperwork and do all that governmental crap. Robbery I say, I contested it and cleared the camera through customers myself which involved driving around the airport for 3h standing in lines at UPS, Canadian customs and then UPS again. With all the time and effort It probably would have cost me less to just let them clear it but It's the principal of the thing that made me do it.

Now i generally order online to get things I can buy anywhere else. ThinkGeek is all I will say about that.

A new site however has come to my attention that has the potential to be very cool, It's called WOOT!. One item per day is put of for sale at 12:00 midnight (10:00 pm here in Vancouver). They sell that item till it is sold out and then nothing till the next day. The secret is that they are amazing deals and shipping is $5. No matter what you buy the shipping price is always the same. The products are fairly random, and a lot of time they are crap but you can find some really cool things. I think they work as a clearance warehouse. The catch is they will only ship to the US so you need to find someone there who can forward it to you. Or alternatively if you live in Vancouver you just need an American PO box and jump across the border to pick up you mail once and a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home