.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Teletran-1 : Captains Log Suplimental

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Web site update

So i have been working on my web code a bit the past few days and with Franks help I have majorly rewrote my website. It still looks very much the same but it's inner workings is different. I have been trying to tackle with the problem of scaling. Not everyone uses the same resolution so web pages really need to be set up to accommodate this. The first way this is done is by scaling all the elements so that they are a % of the total site instead of fixed pixel sizes. A good example is EGS. Style sheets handle this well and the tag that frank told me about allows you to assign flexible regions in your page that will scale. Pictures are however a bigger problem as I don't know how to dynamically scale them. A picture such as my title or my menu buttons must have a fixed size. Right now my title picture is set so that you need to be running 1024x768 or larger to see it properly and I don't know how to fix this.

The second way web sites deal with this is design them for a fixed width and then add empty space to the edges for people using higher resolutions. These are quite often set up for 800x600. A good example of this type of web design is newgrounds while a bad example of this is the CBC. I am tempted to redesign my website like the way newgrounds is set up by putting my navbar at the top of the page and centering all my content in a 800 pixel box so that i don't have to worry about these issues anymore. Using a left side navbar is harder with a fixed width site or at least i don't think it looks as good.

Anyway send me your thoughts and comments on my current design so i can fix it up a bit. I also am using server side instructions to make my life easier. The navbar and title on the science links page are not actually contained in the HTML code, they are imported.

Also the new picture on my front page may interest some people.

4 Comments:

  • test comment

    By Blogger Shawn Penson, at 11:58 p.m.  

  • Hey Shawn... nice pictures, dude. I'm going to have to learn all this HTML stuff soon too. Plus ALOT of other stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 a.m.  

  • DnD? As soon as I figure out my character. Hmmm... cleric or barbarian...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 p.m.  

  • You want a barb, a crazy psycho barb ... with 1,000,00hp and minimum charisma :P

    By Blogger frank, at 11:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home